Monday, July 11, 2005

Exciting Start

Got to the office at Metamend a little this morning, and things really took off. The phones were blaring, a hundred and one questions flyinng about, and then Todd buzzed me. "Hey, can you come down here for a minute, right away?" So off I went. I figured that he was going to be showing me some progress on one of the projects, or something. I head downstairs, and they tell me he's out back. Now I'm getting really curious...

So there I find him, next to our dumpsters, and he mentions that someone broke into one of the dumpsters over the weekend. Then, he points out a strange looking object, we can't quite see all of it, as part is partially covered, but it's got red tape around it, is sort of swollen, about 8 inches long, and 2 inches in diameter. Part of it looks like it's been blown open. Curious geeks that we are, we look closer and closer. But we still can't be sure what it is. So we ask some more people to take a look. "Curiousity killed the cat," everyone looks at it closely "Ah, I think you should call it in..." is the common remark.

So we call the police, who send a car out. The officer looks at it, and tells us: "You better back away, and I'm closing the road up behind your building." Then another police officer arrives, looks at it, and then they call in an expert to take a look...

As I stand there chatting, I'm thinking to myself, could be kids, could be a weathered out flare.

The police explosives expert arrives. All clear, someone was probably just messing with a flare - but considering where it was found, it's slightly off. They check around a bit more, and don't find anything else. False alarm.

The office mentions it was their second call this morning. Last one was a sausage. (!) At least ours looked like something. Thanks for calling it in, etc...

What a sad world where we even need to be concerned.